"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Friday, April 9, 2010

WERE YOUR READINGS AS AN ADOLESCENT PART OF THAT PERSPECTIVE? - Assignment 2

My readings as an adolescent were very much like the perspectives talked about in Chapter 1 and 2 of Young Adult Literature in the 21st Century. I too, had dry spells in my reading during high school because of extracurricular activities and sports, and for most of my time in high school reading took a backseat, for I had other priorities to think about. I definitely found less time to read.

When I did find a little time to read, I also remember choosing books about older teens while I was still 13-16 years of age. And, I remember being very uninterested in books with adults as main characters. I remember trying to pick up one of my mom’s books (I think it was a John Grisham book) and I tried to get through a couple chapters, but it just didn’t interest me. I found it, well, boring. It was probably because I could not relate to it. The characters were older and the ideas were just not quite like mine. It really makes sense to me now after reading what Cole says in chapter 2: “Teen readers…choose books based on a connection they make with a character, or with the plot or theme; they make selections because they’re hooked on a particular genre such as horror, fantasy, or history.” Looking back; this was definitely how I was choosing what to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment