"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Thursday, April 22, 2010

This is What I Like Survey

About 75 grade 7/8 students were surveyed. They remained anonymous. I asked them what their favorite book, movie, TV Show, Website, Game System and Game for a Game System was! Results are in and here are the top five in each category:

Book
#1 Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
#2 Cirque De Freak by Darren Shan
#3 Holes by Louis Sachar
#4 Harrry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
#5 Luna Bay Series by Francess Lantz

Movie
#1 The Blind Side
#2 Hangover
#3 Star Wars/Avatar (tied)
#4 Dear John
#5 New Moon

TV Show
#1 Family Guy
#2 George Lopez/Secret Life of the American Teenager
#3 Nitro Circus
#4 Full House
#5 Ghost Whisperer

Game System
#1 Wii
#2 PS 3
#3 X-Box 360
#4 Game Cube/PS 2 (Tied)
#5 PSP/X-Box (Tied)

Games for A Game System
#1 Call of Duty - Modern Warfare
#2 Wii Fit
#3 Grand Theft Auto
#4 Wii Sports
#5 Mario Kart

Website
#1 My Space
#2 You Tube
#3 Facebook
#4 Any type of Game Site
#5 Yahoo.com

I wasn't really surprised by this survey. I feel I know my students very well. In middle school you always get a wide range of opinions. This is also an age where you must be careful about what topics you cover because some students' parents still keep them very sheltered, while other students have no rules at all and are very worldly. You really do get quite the variety...just like my survey.

However, I must admit that I was a little disturbed that Hangover did make the list. My own personal feeling is that students of the age 12 or 13 should not be watching this movie (especially without adult supervision). But, I also wonder how many put it and have never seen it, but just wanted to sound and look cool. Either way...I wasn't very pleased with it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised to see something on the top 5 in the books list that I have not read. I'm off to go see what the Luna Bay series is about.

    ReplyDelete