"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

An Amazing Graphic Novel

One graphic novel that I advise kids to read on their own every year is called Maus by Art Spiegelman. It is a true account of a victim's life during the Holocaust. (We study the Holocaust with Anne Frank's diary each year in the 8th grade.)

Some of you out there, I know what you're thinking: How can you make a graphic novel about something serious? I myself had my doubts! I hate comics; I never ever picked one up as a kid and really don't as an adult. However, once I started reading this I could not put it down! The same happens to my students! Give it a try...it really is phenomenal!

2 comments:

  1. I put this one down too! For those who hate reading, they have a hard time getting into deep topics like the holocaust. I found that this comic will get them hooked. I had a teacher use it as a pre-reading activity before we read our novel just so we could "see" what we were going to be getting into. Comics also are making a great comeback and it is a great way to target those students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the book I suggested in one of my comments. YA publishers have realized that many "reluctant" readers will read graphic novels. I've even seen classic books recreated in graphic novel format.

    ReplyDelete