"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Literacy Autobiography

Laurie: The Lover of Language

Reading and writing; I have always loved them both. My earliest memories of reading were when I was very small. Each night, before my brother and I went to sleep, we would jump into one of our beds (most likely taking turns each night to have the story night in our own room) and one of my parents would read us a book. This tradition started long before I could read. I loved all of the Dr. Seuss books; we had almost every single one that had ever been written. My favorites were Are You My Mother, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; The Best Nest; and The Foot Book. I still remember singing a few lines from The Best Nest that went something like: “I love my house, I love my nest, in all the world my nest is best.” I thought it was just great! Story time was always so much fun. My parents always used animated voices and encouraged us to participate any way that we could, even if we didn’t fully understand.

As time went on, I learned to read the Dr. Seuss books myself. And, I remember enjoying being able to read the same stories I had always loved hearing my parents read. I can not remember when I first started reading, though, and I did actually call my parents to try to find out. However, neither one of them could remember when I did start sounding out my own words and they both decided it must have been some time around kindergarten. My dad’s direct quote was: “Gees, it was so long ago! The years went so fast and it is kind of a blur. You know, we really should have written it down, but it must have been around the time you started kindergarten, I imagine.” I agreed with him. I really can’t remember ever reading before that time, but I don’t remember never being able to read either.

I must add that my parents were always finding ways for us to be interested in reading. Reading was never considered a chore in my household; it was always considered a form of entertainment. My mom could always be found with some sort of suspense novel or love story in her hands. And my dad would always be reading the paper or reading a sports star or musician’s biography. Whenever we went to visit Seaside, which was 25 minutes from where we lived in Astoria, my brother and I would always be promised ice cream and a trip to the a local book store! We would each get to pick out one book we wanted to read. I would always take my time and choose just the right book. Usually, I just chose one with the best cover and the summary on the back. And of course, before I could read, I would base my selection entirely on the pictures!

Pictures were also used in kindergarten to help us read. In kindergarten I remember that I had an orange phonics workbook. It had words in it like cat, bat, hat, etc. and pictures to go along with the words. I think I can recall this phonics workbook so well because it was part of my first memory of wanting to be a teacher. I, at age 5, had actually gone home and tried to teach my three year old brother to read with this phonics workbook. I felt that it was very important that if I were reading, that he needed to be able to read as well. A phonics book was also used in the first and second grades. We also were required to study flashcards with words and pictures on them, as well as the sound that each letter made. I really liked using the flashcards! I went to a K-8 school at the time, and I loved it when an 8th grade student came into help with our flashcards. It was always so neat to get work with an older kid! After first and second grades, I really don’t remember learning to read. It feels like I just “magically” knew how.

As I progressed through the grade levels, my love for reading never changed. In middle school, my favorite subject was English and I always pulled straight A’s in this class. I really don’t remember many assignments that went along with reading. I can recall book reports and a little bit of poetry, but the rest is a little fuzzy. I don’t even remember any of the books my book reports were about! Was one about Elizabeth Blackwell? That sounds a little familiar.

When I entered high school, my love for reading still hadn’t changed. However, one thing did change; my amount of time to actually be able to read. Sports and other extracurricular activities, as well as homework limited my time to read. I don’t think my time management skills were very developed at the time either. This is when I started collecting all of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. They were filled with short stories and they had great messages attached to the story. These books allowed me to continue to read what I liked, but it was not time consuming. I also eventually stumbled upon love stories (usually about other teens), as well as horror stories (usually something simple from R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike). As far as what I learned in the classroom, I remember always reading out of a text books and answering questions. We also read some novels, Shakespeare, and biographies/autobiographies. Among those readings, I remember only a few: To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee, Lord of the Flies by William Golding, Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew, and Romeo and Juliet. I know I read more, but nothing else rings a bell. Most of my teachers were ready to retire, and let’s just say that the classes did not take much effort for me to pass.

It was tough finding time to read in college, but I discovered authors like Nicholas Sparks, Danielle Steel, and Stephen King and it was hard putting any of their books down after starting them. Whether or not class assignments were due, I always discovered time to enjoy one of their books. Of course, I did take pleasure in my English classes in college, but I have always had more interest in more modern literature than the classics; even today. But, who knows, maybe in the next ten years I will find a whole new perspective and purpose for reading and really start to enjoy what other genres might have to offer.

I must thank my parents and give them credit for starting my love for literature. I know that without their time and love, I probably wouldn’t be the same reader I am today. They truly were the ones who taught me that reading is important and that it can also be really, REALLY fun!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I remember reading R.L. Stine & Pike as well! My sister had so many Stine books it was crazy. I remember borrowing one form her once in the summer time so I could lay outside with my mom and read. I turned the hose on to cool down, forgetting that the book was under my chair. I ruined the book & my sister was mad as I did not ask her to borrow the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same reason you started reading "Chicken Soup" books is why I started reading Harlequin Presents romance books. Quick, put down in an instant, and just plain handy when time is limited. :)

    I completely understand what you mean about finding that time to read for certain authors. I didn't care if I ended up doing a paper at 3am, as long as I was able to finish my book!

    Thanks for sharing, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete