"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Friday, April 9, 2010

DID THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS CHANGE YOUR MIND AS TO WHAT AN ADOLESCENT REALLY IS? - Assignment 1

"Adolescence is a time of firsts: a period of rapid psychological, physical, and social change, a time of uncertainty, roller-coaster emotions, and conflict. It’s a stage in which young people are separating from their parents, and trying out the identities they will carry into their adulthoods.”

Wow! The above is stated so unbelievably well! I think what Cole says above in her book, Young Adult Literature in the 21st Century is exactly what I was trying to say in my definition. My students (grade 7/8) are trying to find themselves, who they are every day I see them. This is why they do seem confused to me. I see girls with blonde hair, wearing pink one day, and suddenly change her appearance to black hair and all black clothes the next day. I see adolescents find new best friends every other day and boyfriends/girlfriends every other week. This is definitely a time of firsts, change, and a time to explore different curiosities.

I don’t think these chapters have changed my mind about what I think an adolescent is; it only gave me perspective on why I defined an adolescent the way that I did. These chapters allowed me to see and remember what it was like for me as a teen (which was less than 10 years ago). I really enjoyed reading about what teen readers need and what they don’t need, as well as what purpose reading can serve in their lives and everyone’s lives. I am excited to learn more in this book; I already like how it reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment