"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Censorship

I really have never encountered a problem with censorship within our school or district. However, I do preventative measures at the beginning of the year or each trimester/semester. For example, I always send a letter home to my 8th grade students' parents/guardians. I tell them exactly what I am going to teach for the year. In my eighth grade classroom we touch on subjects such as the Holocaust and read The Diary of a Young Girl: Anne Frank. I also read The Outsiders, and some other books and subjects that may be controversial in the students' homes. In the last four years I have not had one complaint (knock on wood) and most parents are actually very supportive. I think they really appreciate that I communicate what I am going to teach for the year and that way they are not blindsided.

No comments:

Post a Comment