"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Visualizing

After reading Chapter 8 in our text book, I realize I really do not do a whole lot of visualizing activities in my classroom.

As I have mentioned before I am doing a unit on poetry for the rest of the school year: Does anyone have any suggestions for a poem that I could use in my classroom to help with visualizing?

As far as trying to get our young readers to use their imaginations and visualize, I think that using an excerpt from Harry Potter or a book of that type where you must use your imagination in a make believe world might get their attention! Any other ideas on this matter? Any other recommended books?

4 comments:

  1. Use Shel Silverstein! Anything by him, really, but "Too Many Kids in the Tub" is a good start. Or, "Boa Constrictor".

    "Too Many Kids in the Tub"
    There's too many kids in this tub
    There's too many elbows to scrub
    I just washed a behind that I'm sure wasn't mine
    There's too many kids in this tub.

    "Boa Constrictor"
    Oh, I'm being eaten
    By a boa constrictor,
    A boa constrictor,
    A boa constrictor,
    I'm being eaten by a boa constrictor,
    And I don't like it--one bit.
    Well, what do you know?
    It's nibblin' my toe.
    Oh, gee,
    It's up to my knee.
    Oh my,
    It's up to my thigh.
    Oh, fiddle,
    It's up to my middle.
    Oh, heck,
    It's up to my neck.
    Oh, dread,
    It's upmmmmmmmmmmffffffffff . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... I really don't know to much poetry. Let me think on it for a few days.

    Sorry,

    AA

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun way I found is to find a poetry format and have them describe an object using the format. The only thing is, they can't use the name of the object they are describing. They can then read to the class and everyone can try to guess what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a bunch to all of you! :)

    ReplyDelete