"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Freedom Writers Diary: Thoughts up to Junior Year!

I knew this book was going to be amazing.

There are so many parts I could talk about and discuss!. The whole time I am reading this with teacher eyes and my heart just cries for these students; they are all so young and have been through so many things that I have and probably never will go through in life.

A story that sticks out to me still is about the young 14/15 year old girl who was joining a sorority in high school. The things these girls would be put through so that they felt they would "fit in" with others, was unbelievable. It is so tragic that young people will do almost anything to fit in, even if they know it is not right. The collection of diaries are from the 90's, but it has not changed today. The need to fit in in every where and very real for preteens and teens today.

I absolutely loved the poem, "Moment" by Vincent Guilliano. It says so much about life and truly living. I really want to share this with my 8th grade class (we're in the middle of a poetry unit right now) and I think many of my students will really appreciate it.

Just like this poem that Erin Gruwell shared with her classes, she had so many fantastic ideas when it came to teaching in her classroom. It is really inspiring to me to bring apple cider into the classroom and make a toast for change or for inspiring goals at the end of each year! I also loved hearing how she would dress up. So many of us that teacher the middle/upper level forget that students still appreciate little things like that! Right now I am thinking, What could I dress up like this week? She also always found novels/books/literature that her class could relate with. This is so very important when teaching reluctant readers and teenage students; they always enjoy reading books that reminds them about things they know in each of their own lives.

I also definitely am interested in reading Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Sarajevo. I have not read it, but I have a feeling students could really relate to this diary. I will have to read it and find out!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, have my teacher cap on too as I am reading, which kills me to find that so many of these kids have never felt liked or wanted by their teachers until Ms. G came around! I'm glad they had her, but what does it say for the all the other teachers these kids have had? I hope they have read or watched the movie & see how in so many cases their students need them to listen, help, and just be there .

    I also am wanting to read Zlata's Diary... I would love to continue blogging after the class ends. Let me know if you are interested in continuing discussions on various books through blogging. Maybe we could have Susan send out an all class email at the end of the term inviting everyone to join if they want? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have considered many times myself about dressing up for a period piece just to get my students more interested in what they are reading. . . maybe it's not that bad of an idea. It actually made me think of a history teacher I had that did this. I would love to have some of Ms. G's lesson plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about Zlata's Diary made think about the number of children out there that have gone through their own version of war along with Zlata, Anne Frank, and the Freedom Writer's. Someone could compile a book of diary entries from all over the world. It would be sad but enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be something to read, Kristen. Yes, it would be sad to read stories from all over the world, but like you said, it would also be very enlightening! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete