"There is no more noble profession than teaching. A great teacher is a great artist, but his medium is not a canvas, but the human soul."
~Anonymous

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Science Fiction and Fantasy...Why are they so popular??

Okay...I am going to admit it...please don't judge me or hold this against me...but I did read the entire Twilight Series in a week and a half!! I know...you probably think I am crazy right about now... It was even in the middle of last school year. I honestly couldn't put it down! The way that Stephanie Meyers writes her stories is intriguing and you want to keep reading...it was very hard to put the books down. And, not only is it intriguing because of the forbidden love story, but it also involves vampires! And who isn't a little bit curious about vampires?? :)

I think our young adolescents love this genre because it is an escape from reality. At least, I know for me it is. In this genre everything is possible and there are no limits. In a world where there are so many rules and regulations and so forth, it is always nice to be able to venture out and just pretend sometimes without anybody telling you that something isn't possible and your imagination is allowed to run wild! When it comes down to it: It's just fun! :)

What do you all think??

P.S. Twilight - loved the books, hated the movies. I walked out of the theater in the middle of the first movie! The books were so much better; they usaully are better!

2 comments:

  1. I read the whole series in 5 days, so I understand. :) I worry about young teen girls reading it if they don't have an understanding of what a healthy relationship is, but otherwise, I think people take some things too seriously. Not everything that is read has to be amazingly well-written, change your views on the world, etc.

    I don't think Stephanie Meyer is a fantastic author, but I think she's a FUN author. I think we need to support our students who are enjoying reading even if we personally don't like the book or think it's well written.

    Oh, and I refuse to watch the movies. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. The genres really allow young adults to imagine something more without all the restrictions. For myself, I don't get the hype of the whole Twilight series, but it's great that it has gotten so many to read. My favorite was the Harry Potter series and an author from our textbook, Tamora Pierce.

    ReplyDelete